The Dignity Health-St. Rose Dominican hospital system - and the town where it originated - has an amazing history.
The town of Henderson rose out of a dusty spot of desert in the early 1940s, and its lifeblood was Basic Magnesium Inc., a plant that pulled water and electricity from what was then called Boulder Dam to produce magnesium, a material used for munitions and airplane parts during the war. When World War II ended, magnesium production was no longer needed for defense purposes, so many of the 14,000 employees moved away. A key piece of the Basic Magnesium property - Basic Magnesium Hospital - was put up for sale.
And so the saga of the Adrian Dominican Sisters begins ... highlights from the past 60 years are described below:
1942 - Basic Magnesium Hospital is founded by the U.S. government to provide health care to area industrial workers and their families during the war.
1945-1946 - The government looks for a buyer. Mother General Mary Gerald of the Adrian Dominican Sisters of Adrian, Michigan, agrees with Bishop Thomas K. Gorman that the Order should purchase and manage the hospital.
1947 - The hospital is sold to the Sisters for $1 a year with the stipulation that they assume the debt and operate the hospital for 25 years. The facility is named Rose de Lima Hospital.
1955 - Rose de Lima Hospital is the first in southern Nevada to be accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals.
1956 - The hospital is the first medical facility in the area to obtain a radioisotope (nuclear medicine) laboratory and the first fully accredited cancer treatment center.
1960 - The hospital opens a three-story patient wing, emergency room, surgery suites and obstetrics unit.
1961 - A new 20-bed neuropsychiatric unit is established. Rose de Lima becomes the first private hospital in the area to have a contract with State Mental Health.
1972 - The hospital celebrates its 25th anniversary as a 100 bed facility with intensive care, physical therapy, inhalation therapy and diagnostic x-ray units.
1974 - The word "Saint" is added to the hospital's name, making it St. Rose de Lima. The government awards the final land title to the hospital.
1988 - St. Rose de Lima joins in co-sponsorship with Catholic Healthcare West, the largest Catholic healthcare organization in the west.
1989 - The hospital changes its name to St. Rose Dominican Hospital in honor of the founding Sisters.
1991 - A $25 million, four-story expansion is completed with new medical facilities, including maternal child suites.
1992 - St. Rose becomes the first hospital in the U.S. to install the GE Vectra 1.5T MR breast coil which tests the viability of silicon breast implants and questionable lumps found by mammograms.
1994-1995 - The hospital expands to include a cardiac catheterization laboratory and the Wiegand Cardiac Rehabilitation Center.
1998 - Ground is broken and blessed for the $185 million St. Rose Dominican Hospital - Siena Campus, an acute care facility that will eventually have 300 patient rooms.
The current hospital is renamed St. Rose Dominican Hospital - Rose de Lima Campus. Two surgery suites and 20 beds are added to the Rose de Lima Campus. Project Investment: $1.3 million.
The hospital opens the $17 million Parkway Medical Plaza, a three-story medical complex dedicated to ambulatory care, which includes The Barbara Greenspun WomensCare Center of Excellence. The facility also features rehabilitation services and the Parkway Imaging Center.
1999 - The Greenspun Family Foundation donates $3 million to The Barbara Greenspun WomensCare Center of Excellence. The center addresses women's unique wellness needs from a mind/body/spirit perspective, emphasizing education and informational resources.
The hospital opens the Hartwell Medical Center at Warm Springs and Shadow Crest/Spencer. The $3.4 million center serves residents of southeast Las Vegas and Henderson with physicians offices.
2000 - The hospital completes a $2.5 million expansion of its Rose de Lima Campus Emergency Department, increasing its size from 5,999 to more than 9,600 square feet and featuring 9 additional patient beds, increasing the current count from 14 to 23; an expanded waiting room and a larger, lighted helicopter pad.
With the opening of a second campus, the hospital is renamed St. Rose Dominican Hospitals.
The first phase of St. Rose Dominican Hospitals - Siena Campus opens with 141 patient rooms and the Del E. Webb Medical Plaza. In November, the Joint Replacement Center is introduced at the Siena Campus.
2001 - In late December 2000, the State approves St. Rose's Open Heart program at the Siena Campus. The first open heart surgery is performed on January 2, 2001. During the spring and summer of 2001, St. Rose introduces three new units at the Siena Campus. The Chest Pain Unit monitors patients in the emergency room for up to 24 hours to determine cause of pain and an appropriate care plan. The Oncology Unit provides focused care in a separate area for oncology/cancer patients, their families and friends. The Post-Angioplasty Unit closely monitors and attends to the needs of patients who have just undergone an angioplasty in the hospital's Cardiac Catheterization Lab.
At the Rose de Lima Campus, the Transitional Care Unit is modified into an Acute Rehabilitation Unit, providing specialized care, including rehab services, to patients who have suffered a severe or extended illness or injury.
2002 - The Rose de Lima Campus celebrates its 55th anniversary and is the first hospital in Nevada to introduce the PillCam camera in a capsule technology, which enables physicians to view the entire small intestine. This allows them to better detect/diagnose conditions such as Crohn's disease, irritable bowel syndrome and celiac disease.
2003 - St. Rose Dominican Hospitals - Siena Campus fourth floor build out is completed. The expansion includes 66 private patient rooms, including a Pediatrics unit and a Pediatrics ICU unit, an additional C-section surgery suite, an expanded pharmacy and numerous facility enhancements. St. Rose also introduces a new Cath Lab at the Rose de Lima Campus, featuring the Innova 2000 with InnovaSpin technology.
2004 - Ground is broken and blessed for St. Rose Dominican Hospitals third acute-care facility, the San Martín Campus. The hospital will be located in southwest Las Vegas.
- St. Rose Dominican Hospitals opens its San Martín Campus in southwest Las Vegas. The first phase of the four-floor hospital opens with 111 beds, a three-story medical office building and shelled space for an additional 90 beds.
2007 - St. Rose Dominican Hospitals' Rose de Lima Campus celebrates its 60th anniversary with year-long festivities including a formal rededication ceremony. Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Units open at both the Siena and San Martín Campuses; an Open Heart Surgery Center opens at the San Martín Campus; and the hospital acquires the CHW system's first da Vinci® Surgical System.
2008 - The year starts off with the opening of a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at the Siena Campus which allows the hospital to provide the highest levels of care for the tiniest of patients. St. Rose also begins the first in-home hospice services in Henderson. The San Martín Campus' Open Heart Surgery Center adds the Volcano Intravascular Ultrasound (IVUS) system. St. Rose partners with Nevada Imaging Centers with its five locations continuing to operate under the same name.