(December 2, 2011, Henderson, Nev.) – St. Rose Dominican Hospitals/Catholic Healthcare West (CHW), the community’s only not-for-profit, religiously sponsored hospital system, will make $305,695 in grant awards to 10 nonprofit organizations in Henderson and Las Vegas. This is the 19th year St. Rose has made such funding available. Grant awardees were notified this week and will receive the funding at a luncheon held Wednesday, January 4, 2012, at St. Rose Dominican Hospitals–Siena Campus.
“St. Rose has been committed to providing quality healthcare and supporting the communities of Henderson and Las Vegas for more than 60 years,” said Rod Davis, president/CEO, St. Rose Dominican Hospitals and Senior Vice President of Operations, CHW Nevada. “Awarding these grants to other nonprofit, health-related organizations during these exceptionally tough economic times will enable us all to continue working toward improving the health and well being of those in our community.”
Community organization recipients included:
- Dr. Joel & Carol Bower School-Based Health Center: $50,000;
- The Shade Tree, Stallman Touro Medical Clinic for Women & Children: $50,000;
- Southern Nevada Immunization & Health Coalition, Community Immunizations: $50,000
- Volunteers in Medicine, Health Care Access Program: $50,000;
- Easter Seals, Family Respite Program: $40,000
- American Heart Association, Stroke Programs: $23,195
- Saint Therese Center, HIV Food Pantry: $20,000;
- Boulder City Lend A Hand, Senior Transportation Program: $10,000
- Boys & Girls Club of Henderson, Healthy Habits Program: $7,500; and
- Helping Hands of Vegas Valley, Senior Food Pantry: $5,000.
To be selected for a grant, an organization or program must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- address the greatest health needs of the community;
- emphasize prevention to addresses the underlying cause of health problems;
- contribute to a seamless continuum of care;
- build upon and mobilize existing services in the community; and
- engage diverse community stakeholders in implementation and oversight.